Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cinnamon French Toast Sticks

The girls are constantly begging me for the french toast sticks in the freezer section at the grocery store. I pretty much always say no, because, let's face it, they're gross. They're limp and made with ingredients from Heaven knows where. When I was making the grocery list on Monday and Summer asked for the umpteeth time if I would buy french toast sticks that I would try and find a recipe for some that both taste good and can be frozen so I can make a big batch and the girls can eat them all week.

SUCCESS!!!!

I found this recipe for Pain Perdu on one of my favorite recipe sites and it is perfect. The toast is crispy and soft when fresh and still that way after being frozen and reheated. Plus I was able to make it with healthier ingredients like whole grain flour and organic eggs. It can probably be made with less calories by substituting Splenda's baking blend or one of the stevia blends, but 1. Paige is allergic to Splenda and 2. I just don't like the taste of Stevia, so I went with plain ole' unrefined raw sugar.

Pain Perdu
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. flour. (I used whole grain flour and reduced it to 2/3 c.)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. sugar (I used raw sugar)
2 whole eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. whole milk (I used skim and it was fine)
1 loaf Texas Toast (The ONLY bread for french toast)
Butter or oil for the pan (I'm lazy and used Pam)
For the topping - 4 T cinnamon & 3/4 c. sugar


In a small bowl, mix the salt, flour, and 3T sugar.
In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla, and milk, then add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. 
Mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping in either a bowl large enough for a slice of bread or on a plate.
Melt the butter or oil in a pan over medium/high heat. (I used medium heat, because our stove cooks VERY hot and at medium/high the toast burnt)
Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and then add to the pan, cooking 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Remove the toast from the pan and immediately dredge through the cinnamon-sugar mixture on both sides.
Serve warm or allow to cool and then place in a freezer bag to use another day

No comments:

Post a Comment