Sunday, January 17, 2010

January

January, thus far, has been cold. That is the best word to describe January. We have had quite a bit of snow, which they tell me is unusual for the Tidewater region. At our house, everyone loves the snow. Everyone but me, that is. I hate snow. It's cold, it's wet, and when it's gone you get a muddy mess that lingers for weeks. Ick. I do love watching everyone else love the snow, however. That's why, when we woke up one morning before school to a picturesque dusting, I zipped up my boots and threw a sweatshirt on over my pajamas and headed out to take some pics of everyone else enjoying it. While we out there, we stumbled upon the fact that Diesel really likes coffee. Dennis spilled a little and Diesel lapped it up like it was the best thing he had ever tasted. He then spent the rest of the morning following Den around on the off chance that he might spill some more.

















Summer's school had a "Safari Day" to kick off their spring semester reading challenge. If the school meets their reading goals by the end of the year, their principal, Mrs. Butler, will have to snuggle with a snake. (Last year she had to kiss a pig!)
Yesterday we took the girls to see the new Restless Planet exhibit at the Virginia Aquarium. It was really something. I can see why it took so long to build it. As you exit the exhibit (into the gift shop, of course) there is a beautiful etching of the earth with this quote from John Muir. "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." I don't know why, but for some reason that has stuck with me. What little things are we tugging at without even realizing their impact on everything else? Think about it as you are throwing away something that could be recycled or having your Starbucks in yet another diposable cup instead of a reusable mug. Take every opportunity to be a good steward of what God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment